Friday, April 20, 2007

Day 2 - 4/20

Today I went to the Biltmore Estate. What an amazing place... 300 rooms, over 4 acres of space inside... built in 1895... grounds designed by Frederick Olmstead... really all I can say is amazing! It is a creation... not a home or a mansion, but truly a creation. To think it was built in the middle of the mountains, on such an immense scale and no modern equipment or roads... it is a marvel. I spent the entire day there... After touring the house... I walked the grounds and gardens... then drove to the winery where they were having a wine tasting of their wines... spent some time drinking wine and listening to some music at the outdoor cafe... all in all a great way to spend the day... Remarkable creation in the midst of the Smokey Mountains...
So I made it thru day 2 on my own... here is what I've learned about travelling by myself so far...
1- When eating dinner, always bring something to do... it's boring sitting in a restaurant by yourself! Breakfast and lunch for some reason isn't bad, but dinner... well you just need something... so either bring a book, a map to plan the next days travels, a journal... etc.

I'm sure I'll come up with others... but so far that's it... dining alone at dinner seems to be more of a challenge than the other meals.

Till the next time....

No comments: